Monday, March 20, 2006

Something to be said for neatness..

Sorry to be silent for so long, I've been working on a project. (Gotta pay the bills you know).
I'm one of those programmers who try to get the code right the first time. I will spend extra time up front on architecture and refactoring so that I'll find less bugs in testing.
In working on this project, I'd written about 50,000 lines of code and was testing when I had a strange error. It only took me a few minutes to track down, but it was a missing "@" sign from one of my procedure parameters. I noticed that if I had lined up my procedure names as I usually did, I would have spotted it in coding, but I had been in a hurry and did not take the time to make it neat. I think that if at all possible you should make your code as neat and lined up as possble to make it easier for you to spot these types of problems. Life doesn't usually give you the time to do it, so you sometimes just have to suffer.

Just so you know, I did write a decent sized program that worked perfectly the first time. That was the only time and I've been striving for it again ever since.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home