Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Great XP tip!

Thanks to Saveen Reddy for this incredible tip for anyone working with multiple files in XP!


Windows XP comes with a built-in solution to batch rename files
· Browse Windows Exploer to the files you want to fix
· Switch to Details view (recommended, but not required)
· Order the view by time or name or size as desired
· multi-select all the files to with the names you don't like
· While the files are selected, right click on the file you want to consider as the *first* one. The context menu will appear.
· Select Rename
· The file upon which you right-clicked will now show that you can edit its name
· Change the name as desired and add a space and a starting number in parenthesis and leave the extension alone
o Example:
§ Rename "pic383718.jpg"
§ To this "My Vacation in Italy (1).jpg"
· The rest of the files will be renamed accodingly.
o Final Output
§ My Vacation in Italy (1).jpg
§ My Vacation in Italy (2).jpg
§ My Vacation in Italy (3).jpg
§ My Vacation in Italy (4).jpg
§ My Vacation in Italy (5).jpg
§ My Vacation in Italy (6).jpg
What happens if the number in parenthesis is left out? For example, if one named the first file "foo.jpg"?
The results will look like this:
· foo.jpg
· foo (1).jpg
· foo (2).jpg
· foo (3).jpg
· foo (4).jpg
· foo (5).jpg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home